Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A November to Dismember (IV)

Okay, so I missed STMP's show on the 19th. For those of you who don't know, STMP stands for South Texas Metal Productions. It's a small, local talent promotion company that specializes in the heavier and darker end of the local music scene. They typically hold about 2 shows a month if we're lucky.

I didn't miss the show on the 25th though. It's really weird that I went to the show at all. I'd made no plans to attend and was probably more inclined to avoid it, but a friend of mine who's a (if not THE) soundman for STMP called me Friday and unfortunately didn't get a hold of me. But I did get the message. So Saturday morning, the day of the show, I decided to return his call. However, I quickly discovered that I no longer had his phone number. So what's a guy to do? I decided to pay him an unexpected visit.

I didn't know how the visit was going to turn out. His call had been unexpected and it left me wondering what it was all about. Had I offended him? I wondered. But I'm not the type to talk shit about anyone, so that can't be it. So I knew I wasn't walking into an ambush. But still, you never know so I kept on my toes. Maybe he needs my help with something, I thought. That has to be it. So I steeled myself for whatever sort of favor he might ask. Backbreaking labor? Financial assistance? Needs to borrow equipment? Criminal enterprising? I had no idea. Turns out, he just wanted to catch up and share some of his time with me and just bond. Man how time flew.

Anyway, getting back to the main point. My friend, Chris, eventually told me that his band was playing that night and invited me to attend. He offered to get me in for free as a "friend of the band" since they were headlining the show. An offer that I accepted, but unfortunately didn't pan out because we eventually went to the event in different cars and everything just turned gray. Still, it was six bucks well spent.

I arrived at the venue just as the first band was ending their set. For the life of me, I can't recall a single band's name. Except my friend's band, VALDRIS. Not that they sucked. All the bands were good. Well, maybe one band did suck. The one from Weslaco that had the singer that was apologizing every five minutes for what he percieved was the band's ill-preparedness. But all in all, every band put for a tremendous effort and, at least to me, the show was a success.

Okay, so I strayed a little, again. The moshpit! That's what this is about. The moshpit. STMP moshpits generally aren't very big and intense. But when they happen, it's worth it to jump in the fray. I have to admit that even though STMP moshpits don't hold up to the lore of big name bands and venues. The one on the 25th was probably the most intense STMP moshpit I've been in. I got knocked on my ass! And it was fun, too. Cause I got to knock other's on their ass! To my surprise, no REAL violence broke out. Everyone that got knocked down understood that it was all in good natured fun.

I did get up the next day sore in places I didn't even know I had. I also had bruises, welts and scratches all over my body. There's no doubt in my mind I got the bruises from the tall, skinny, white guy in the bandana. He was all boney and angular. His knees and elbows looked and felt more like stabbing weapons. He was one of the guys that was frequently laid out on his ass. But he was a good sport about it. And it wasn't like he didn't lay anyone out, either. He gave as good as he took.

The bottom line is that I had a lot of fun at this show. Good bands, tight show, and a decent moshpit to boot. Unfortunately, I left before VALDRIS got to play. I was exhausted. I'd been up 24 hours straight for one thing. But the thing that got me to leave was the sudden arrival of a probation officer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Hey dude, you going to the show on the 9th?

Oh, also, this is a really dumb question, but where is Smiliey's Ballroom exactly? I was driving home from Target and I fiured, well, it would be nice to se exactly where this place is, but I either missed it or didn't go down far enough. So is it like close to the expressway or is it like way the fuck down there?

11:19 PM  
Blogger Juan said...

I haven't decided yet, but I didn't do anything this past weekend so I just might go. As for Smiley's. It's close to the Expressway. It's on the left hand side just right after the curve on Rangerville Rd. It's kinda like the BW in that it sits at the far end of a lot rather than close to the street. I, myself, drive past it every single time that I go. It's a red building that seems to have no business being in the middle of what looks like an abandoned lot.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home