Tuesday, February 06, 2007

It was a Free show.

Whew, it was about time I heard some live local metal! I hadn't been to a show in what seemed like months. There were two reasons for that. 1) The venues seemed to be crawling with PO's. And 2) STMP was having some sort of crisis. (At least that's what I've surmised.)

Here's my distorted version of what was told to me. Apparently, during a New Year's Eve party in which STMP staff and friends were celebrating the beginning of the year, someone on the STMP staff made a resolution to speak his/her mind. (I don't know if this was alcohol induced or not, I didn't really ask for specific details, just a quick breakdown.) Anyway, supposedly the finger pointing and criticisms began, tempers flared, push came to shove, emotions exploded, and blades were brandished. And yes, egos were bruised.

Anyway, this sort of explained why I couldn't find any STMP show postings on the internet. I guess they decided to take a month off to cool down and probably re-organise.

So here's a quick breakdown of this past Saturday's performances.

The first band I witnessed was Hellephant. This was the second time that I've seen these guys live. The first time, I didn't know what their moniker was. They were nice and tight, but a disappointment. The singer was good when he sang, but his in-between song commentary was annoying. Dood, I don't want to hear excuses, I wanna fucken thrash, headbang, MOSH!!! Don't tell me that you came here on short notice and are somewhat unprepared. Just fucken be as brutal as possible. If you suck, I'll tell you so. Don't tell me you're gonna suck ahead of time.

I can't remember the names of the two bands that followed. They were good, but their look just wasn't in their favor. They seemed like Boy Bands' gone Metal. Yes, teenie boppers showing off their musical prowess. There was talent there, no denying it. I'm pretty sure they'll make fine metal bands once they pass puberty.

The two bands that followed were more mature. I can't remember the first one's name, but they were pretty good. The singer really seemed to be getting engrossed in his roll by being almost theatrical in his movements and expression. The only thing he had against him was his teenie bopper stature.

Belligerency was the other band. It's taking me some time to get used to the new sound. They're playing the same songs, but with recent line-up changes, the songs have taken a sonically different flavor. The drums were weak and almost inaudible at times. The bass player was having guitar strap malfunctions at the beginning of the set, but overall they put on a decent performance. The band will be looking for a new guitarist in March.

I didn't stay for the entire show. I left early on the count that my "spidey-sense" kept tingling as the evening progressed. I kept expecting to see a probation officer pop in at any second. But all in all, it was a good show at Friendz Bar in San Benito. From what I understand, this was the last free show to be held there. STMP will be hosting shows there once a month with a $5 cover charge. See you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home